About This Blog

My name is Laura. This blog contains reflections on my life with Asperger's syndrome and anxiety. The main purpose of this website is to provide awareness of individuals with Asperger's syndrome and other disabilities. Content is welcome to be shared for educational purposes but MUST be referenced. If you wish to speak with me directly, the best way to contact me is through my university email at llgilmou@ualberta.ca

zekeandme

zekeandme

Sunday, November 04, 2012

Here and Now


It’s been a little over a year since I’ve started my Master’s at the University of Alberta. My graduate supervisor gives me detailed feedback on my work and we’re comfortable working together. One of my favourite graduate professors just sent me an email this evening saying I’d done an excellent job on an assignment. My thesis literature review is underway and I am becoming more and more excited.

In my first year of my Master’s, I spent a lot of my school time missing my undergrad institution. I sometimes felt sad that the professors did not know me as well as those at the place I went to for four years. I was involved in active research with both my graduate and undergraduate supervisor, my mind kind of caught between the two places.

This year, I am finally learning to love my university I am at now. I’m hoping to start a research paper with one of my professors this term that isn’t related to my initial undergraduate project. My undergraduate supervisor remains one of the best friends I have, and ever will have, but is no longer involved in my academics. We are just friends who enjoy a conversation or an email when a free moment comes, people that share things about research with each other, but not working on the same project.

As an individual with Asperger's transitions and letting go of things has always been hard for me, as is adapting to new places. I had a terrible time with the move from Nova Scotia to Edmonton when I was sixteen. It resulted in me ending up on homebound instruction for the year. However, now I could not imagine being back in Nova Scotia. Edmonton is home to me.

I have spent a lot of my life either looking to the past or to the future--either wishing I was back in undergrad as I did last year, or jumping years ahead in my mind to when I’m one of the professors someday. I’m slowly learning to cherish what is now, while holding onto the important things of the past and future.

2 comments:

Jen Daisybee said...

Good for you for learning to cherish the present moment! That is a hard lesson for anyone to learn. I have trouble with it myself and am always working on it.

Mynnette said...

Hi! I've followed you for a while now but I don't think I've commented before. I just wanted to let you know that I think you are fabulous! Look at all the amazing things you're doing! My husband and I haven't been able to have children, either, and I have to tell you that being married doesn't make that hurt feeling go away. I just know that because of your good and positive attitude, you will one day receive these blessings. HUGS to you! Thanks for all the info you post! :)